OVERVIEW OF OUR SERVICES
ESS teams get things done on the ground, providing cost-effective and tailored ESG, HSEC and sustainability solutions in Africa and emerging economies.
Download our brochures to learn more about our services:
Detailed Description of Services
Our unique HSEC Health, Safety, Environment and Communities Outsourcing services are designed to simplify HSEC management, in order to get your projects up and running quickly in line with national and international requirements – all for a simple monthly fee.
We provide a HSEC management team and management system, needed to demonstrate compliance to investors and ensure the implementation of all aspects of HSEC management. Individual HSEC roles can also be provided (i.e. Social and Communities Specialist, Biodiversity Specialist etc.).
The following HSEC implementation team and management system is provided:
- A full-time in-country HSEC Manager
- A support team comprising an experienced HSEC Director and a Senior Partner
- An HSEC Management System, comprising the main policies, plans, procedures and other documents that can be prepared without requiring external specialists
- Back office support provided by our dedicated remote HSEC team, ensuring that any issues are handled in accordance with national and international standards, as quickly and economically as possible.
We are specialised in developing HSEC Management Systems (HSECMS, also called ESMS or HSMS) at the corporate and project level, providing expertise and documentation to ensure that applicable standards are implemented as quickly and effectively as possible.
We develop, implement, audit and continually improve the HSECMS, all in line with ISO requirements as well as financier ESG standards, such as the IFC Performance Standards.
Services we can provide include:
- Develop and update key HSECMS documents to meet international standards and national requirements
- Identification of HSEC staffing and budget needs
- Provision of specialist studies to input into key plans such as biodiversity (i.e. Biodiversity Action Plan, Offset Feasibility Study etc.) and social and communities planning (i.e. Resettlement Action Plan, Livelihood Restoration Plan, Compensation, Community Development Plan etc.)
ESG Due Diligence and Gap Analysis Studies
What looks like a profitable financial investment can sometimes conceal hidden ESG challenges. Resolving these issues after financial close may result in additional permitting requirements, excessive delay, increased costs or even threaten the viability of your investment.
We dig below the surface to ensure potential environmental and social issues linked to your investment are identified, providing a clear and cost-effective pathway to full compliance with international standards, national regulations and best practice.
ESS can support you to:
- Conduct a Due Diligence or Gap Analysis to identify outstanding HSECMS and resourcing gaps, and develop an action plan to address these
- Identify and manage ESG risks in investments, divestments, mergers and acquisitions, specialising in emerging economies
- Develop an Environmental and Social Action Plan (ESAP) in line with IFC and international standards
- Ensure appropriate levels of transparency and disclosure on ESG issues
- Engage and collaborate with communities and key stakeholders to obtain a social licence to operate, while managing expectations and reconciling varying points of view
IESC, Auditing and Reporting
We supports investors and companies to align their projects with internationally-respected frameworks, such as the IFC Performance Standards and the Equator Principles.
We assist investors by acting as Independent Environmental & Social Consultant (IESC) for investments in line with the requirements of the Equator Principles.
For companies, we also undertake third-party ESG audits to align projects with national regulations and international requirements, in ways both practical and proportional to the organisation’s activities and potential impacts.
ESS can support you to:
- Undertake third-party audits to assure that investor expectations are met, in order to access international finance and to secure project funding
- Develop best practice management systems, key performance indicators, documentation and policies.
Green Finance / Sustainable Finance Advisory Services
We support international organisations and financial institutions in developing green and sustainable financial instruments and policy, as well as the integration of climate-related risks and opportunities in governance, strategy, risk management and reporting.
Financial instruments such as green bonds, climate bonds, sustainable bonds and similar are used as financial securities to finance “green” projects. However, these markets are less developed in emerging economies.
We provide key expertise in green financial instruments and policy in an emerging markets setting, as well as in integrating the requirements of international frameworks such as the Sustainable Development Goals and the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures.
Services ESS can provide include:
- Undertake review of Bank portfolio / loan book
- Develop Green Finance strategies for your institution
- Carry out scoping / feasibility studies on green financial instruments and policy
- Integrate and monitor SDG and TCFD requirements
- Undertake capacity building and training
Sustainability, Climate and Carbon Assessments
We have a strong track record when it comes to undertaking assessments for sustainability, climate and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
This reflects heightened interest in how organisations are contributing to the SDGs, as well as increasing regulatory requirements on management and the financial cost of dealing with climate-related risks (e.g. Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures, TCFD).
We can also support you in the process of generating carbon credits, accompanying you all the steps of carbon credit generation, markets and monitoring.
ESS can support you to:
- Undertake a Sustainability Options Assessment that identifies short, medium and long-term actions maximise contributions to the SDGs
- Understand key climate risks and develop a plan for climate change adaptation and mitigation
- Quantify your current and future GHG / carbon footprint, with scenario analyses, Life Cycle Assessments (LCA) and action planning.
- Undertake annual sustainability reporting, either standalone or as part of annual reporting.
- Understand how your activities may qualify for carbon credits and accompany you all the way